Its been a while I started experimenting with Castor oil and to tell you the truth I am not a bit disappointed! I did hear and read about its benefits and also my dad kept telling me to use it for my hair fall problem. I had to give it a try.
Once upon a time, it was used to poison and even kill people. When administered in lower dosages, it induces nausea, vomiting, sickness, and loose bowels. It is not a very healthy or nutritious thing, when it comes to consumption and that is why it found its uses more in industries than in edibles. All the medicinal uses it has are mostly due to its germicidal, toxic, purgative and disinfectant properties.
However, the Egyptians were among the first to dive in the many uses and benefits of castor oil. Cleopatra used it to brighten the whites of her eyes, as well as use it for ointments and wounds. Castor oil was also used to light torches and lamps. The benefits and uses of castor oil since then has been for almost all problems… to name a few –
- it’s a cure for menstrual disorders
- a cure for constipation
- stimulates lactation
- acts as a pain reliever in arthritis
- helps to relieve calluses that are caused by a number of things
- great as a treatment for deep cystic acne
- can be used to remove unsightly warts and skin tags
- excellent as a skin care and hair care oil
These are just a few from the number of benefits this oil has. And should I say more or just cut it short to say ‘you must own a bottle of castor oil’. 😛
My experimenting with this wonderful oil has not been restricted to hair and skin but I have using it in different ways possible and have seen results. Here are some easy ways you can put this thick and odour less oil to use in your daily routine.
To go by the book definition – ‘Castor oil penetrates deep into the skin, softens and hydrates it. The oil also helps to promote the production of elastin and collagen, which help to delay the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and give the skin a more youthful appearance.’ So it has a lot to offer if used properly and with the right ingredients they can do wonders.
- If you have a dry skin – Wash your face with warm water and use a mixture of castor oil and coconut oil (1:1) on your skin, leave it for 20 – 30 mins, rinse off and pat dry.
Make a face mask. Mix 1 tsp castor oil with one egg yolk. Apply on your face and leave it for 15 – 20 mins. Then rinse off with luke warm water and pat dry. See how happy your skin will become!
- Want to delay the signs of aging? – Mix Castor oil with sweet almond oil (1:1) and use it on your face and even body before taking bath. You will be amazed how soft, hydrated and nourished your skin will be left after the process.
- Use castor oil to prevent stretch marks – When you are pregnant use castor oil to massage your body twice a day to prevent stretch marks. You can also use the oil to reduce stretch marks after they have already formed. This might take time but definitely works.
- Use castor oil on scars directly – Castor oil is an excellent pigmentation remedy. You can also use it on your face but if you have a acne – prone skin, then its advisable not to use castor oil as it is very thick.
- Castor oil with lemon and honey is magic – This is one of the most popular home remedies for glowing skin. Mix 1 tsp castor oil with 2-3 drops of fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp raw honey. Mix well to prepare a paste. Apply on the problematic areas and leave it for couple of hours. Daily use will get you naturally glowing skin.
- Cure sunburns and Itchy skin with castor oil – The anti – inflammatory and anti – bacterial properties of castor oil makes it ideal for treatment for rashes, itches and bug bites. And it also soothes sun burn. Dip a wad of cotton in castor oil and apply it directly on the affected areas. leave it for an hour and wash off. In case of itchy skin and sun burns it can be left overnight also.
Castor oil contains natural compounds that promote hair growth. A large percentage of castor oil contains Ricinoleic acid, one of the essential amino acids required by human body. The majority of nutrient content is made up of ricinoleic acid, omega-6 and 9 fatty acids, vitamin E and minerals.
Growing your hair is not just about increasing the rate at which it grows but also keeping it healthy. Castor oil is an ideal hair growth solution because it caters to the various needs of your hair, making it grow out thick and healthy.
- Control hair fall and boost regrowth with castor oil – Castor oil strengthens the roots of your hair by nourishing your scalp and providing protection against microbes and the components penetrates the hair shaft and roots and restores scalp health and boosts hair growth. As the oil is very thick, the best way to use it on your hair is by making a mixture of Castor oil + Coconut oil + Sweet almond oil (1:1:1).
- Treat your scalp condition with Castor oil – Using castor oil in the scalp with help clear dandruff and other scalp conditions and give a permanent cure for the problems.
If you have a dry scalp with dandruff – Mix 1 tbsp castor oil with 1 tbsp olive oil and half a lemon. Mix well and use it on your scalp twice a week. If you have oily hair with dandruff – Mix 1 tbsp castor oil with honey and aloe vera juice/gel and half a lemon.
Apply these masks on the roots of your hair for about 30 minutes before you shampoo and condition your hair. This mask will not only rid d you of dandruff but also nourish your hair, making it healthier and shinier.
- Get rid of split ends with castor oil – For split ends apply castor oil at the ends of your hair half an hour before you shampoo your hair. Do it regularly to get rid of split ends and make your hair look healthier and shinier.
- Make hair masks with castor oil – A healthy hair is something we all long to have. These masks will ensure you get one. Slightly warm a cup of buttermilk on a double boiler and add 3 tbsp of castor oil – mix the ingredients well and apply to your hair from root to tip. Steam your hair and cover it with a shower cap. Wash off after half an hour with shampoo and conditioner. And fall in love with your hair.
Grow longer lashes and thicken your eyebrows with castor oil – Just apply castor oil on your lashes and eyebrows and massage very gently before you go to bed every night. You will see great result in a few weeks.
Get rid of moles and cysts with castor oil – Apply castor oil with a pinch of baking soda on the infected area is known to give the desired result. Castor oil also solves problem of cysts and corns by dissolving them.
For those who are keen on using natural measures to cure your skin and hair , castor oil can work wonders. Apart from that castor oil also improves blood flow, thymus gland health and lymphatic drainage.
With such amazing health benefits, castor oil ought to find a place in your daily routine!