I am this one lazy person when it comes to exercise… and I know so many of you are going to relate with me 😛 But we all know that we must exercise and it’s not always about losing weight. Exercising is a way of healthy living. And as we age it is going to help us in the long run. And we are the lucky ones to belong to a time when staying healthy is a trend!
However its always not possible for us to hit the gym. And at times we look for workouts which can be performed anytime, anywhere, consumes less time, requires no equipment and are effective too! The answer to this is PLANK – One of the best exercises which will focus on posture, body balance and core.
Plank is one of the best exercises you can do for your core because it builds isometric strength to help sculpt your waistline and improve your posture. The plank exercise helps strengthen mid-section, upper-body and lower-body muscles along with the front of your body. Planks also strengthen inner core muscles that support your joints. Summing everything up – it works on all your core muscles.
Looking at the picture above, doing a plank doesn’t look much difficult, is it?! But it is.. Some time back in 2013, a challenge popped up in social media, as a fat to fit challenge – which said –
For 30 days, you, the acceptor of the challenge, would hold the plank position for a designated period of time each day, and that period of time would increase throughout the 30 days. By the end of the challenge, you would be able to hold the plank position for 270 seconds (4 ½ minutes).
No I did not take part in the challenge but I have started doing this exercise as a part of my daily exercise recently and the result has been amazing – my abdomen area has toned up a bit and I am jumping with joy! 😀 Who doesn’t want a fitter body!
So, what are the benefits of doing planks regularly –
- Improved core definition and performance – Planks are an ideal exercise for the abdominal muscles exactly because they engage all major core muscle groups.
- Increased boost to your overall metabolism – Planking is an excellent way of challenging your entire body because doing them every day will burn more calories than other traditional abdominal exercises.
- Improves your posture – Doing planks greatly improves your ability to stand with straight and stable posture.
- Improves your balance – Improving your balance by doing planks with extensions you will boost your performance in every kind of sporting activity.
- Improve your flexibility – Flexibility is a key benefit of doing planks regularly, as this form of exercise expands and stretches all your posterior muscle groups – shoulders, shoulder blades, and collarbone – while also stretching your hamstrings, arches of your feet, and toes.
- Decrease in risk on spinal and back injuries – Doing planks regularly not only significantly reduces back pain but it also strengthens your muscles and ensures a strong support for your entire back, especially in the areas around your upper back.
Moreover, exercising has its own share of benefits on your mind too. They calm your brain and also treat anxiety and symptoms of depression. Exercises like planks have a particular beneficial effect on your nerve, making them an excellent way to boost up your mood.
How to hold a plank position –
In traditional plank, you perch long and strong from your toes to your elbows, pulling in your abdominal and tightening the shoulders, back, glutes and hamstrings.
Improve your plank time gradually –
- Start with the easier variation
- Practise everyday
- Perform other body weight exercises
That’s all for the day guys.. Hope you find this article helpful 🙂 please don’t forget to like, share and comment!
Till next time..
Stay healthy and keep glowing! 🙂 xx